“Here there is no place for those who do not like to eat, for those who do not believe that the kitchen is a real art, worthy of the most deserving praise”
In front of our restaurant the Certosa di Firenze stands majestic and suggestive. Founded by Niccolò Acciaiuoli in the fourteenth century to accommodate 12 monks, a prior and a small group of converts. The Certosa di Firenze is surrounded by high walls that, together with the imposing Palazzo degli Studi, give it the appearance of a fortress.
The Certosa di Firenze is a former monastery of the Carthusian Order which stands on Mount Acuto, at the confluence of Ema with Greve in Galluzzo, surrounded by a high circle of walls.
The Certosa is composed of various buildings: church, chapter hall, sacristy, refectory, cloisters, workshops and homes for monks and converts. It was designed to accommodate a maximum of 18 cloistered monks and 5 converse brothers, as can be seen from the number of houses in the entire structure. The cloistered monks had a rather large cell, since almost all of their existence had to be spent in meditation.
The first structure that meets up with the complex from the street is the crenellated block of Palazzo Acciaiuoli, or Palazzo degli Studi, which was erected by Jacopo Passavanti and Jacopo Talenti for the private stays of Niccolò Acciaiuoli. Here he could retreat into the tranquility of the monastery and accommodate up to fifty young people to start studying liberal arts but at his death the building was completed only up to the first floor and only halfway through the sixteenth century was finished.
On the first floor, accessible by a large staircase that starts from the small square near the main entrance of the Certosa, there are two halls, where the Pinacoteca is located. The first hall of the Pinacoteca is a vast hall covered with trusses, which on the left wall houses the five frescoes with scenes of the Passion detached from the lunettes of the great cloister, which were built by Pontormo (1523-1525) during his stay at the Certosa to escape to the plague
epidemic that raged in Florence.
Guided tours to the Certosa di Firenze are organized on request.
The Certosa monastery is open from 9.00 to 11.30 and from 15.00 to 16.30.
Guided tours are allowed at 9.15 am – 10.15 am – 11.15 am – 3.15 pm, except on non-holiday Mondays.